This recipe is super simple, uses minimal ingredients (I call these pantry staples), is vegan, refined-sugar-free and is just so perfectly stogy, aka comforting! It can also be made gluten-free and or paleo.
Ancient Grain Pancakes with Spiced Apple Compote 🍎
Compote Recipe & Instructions:
Add the following to a stove top pan:
- 1 roughly chopped up medium-large apple (granny smith is my fave) • 1.5 cup brewed Rasa OG (you can also use 1.5 cup hot water + 1.5tbsp Rasa— to steep as you cook)
Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the apple is nice and soft.
*2 options here: either blend in a food processor or blender for 5-10 seconds for a creamy compote OR mash up the mix with a fork for a chunkier compote (**this option only works if you used pre-brewed Rasa)
Pancakes Recipe (Makes 4 pancakes)
- 1 cup einkorn flour (GF sub: oat / buckwheat / almond flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup nut milk / oat / seed etc
- 2 chia eggs (2 tbsp chia seed + 5 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch fof himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar / monk fruit / maple (optional)
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil for cooking (sub: Avo oil / ghee / EVOO)
- In a large mixing bowl (or food processor) add all the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the wet ingredients until a nice batter is formed (should be pretty thick— if you prefer a thinner pancake, add a little more milk)
- Heat up some oil on a griddle or frying pan
- Add 1 scoop of mix per pancake (I used 2 tbsp mix per pancake) — depending on the size of your pan, you could do 2-3 at a time). Turn down the heat — or your smoke alarm will remind you to ;-)
- Flip sides when bubbles appear (normally around 2 minutes on each side) 6. Viola! Throw on a plate and dollop Spiced Apple Compote on top! I personally like to also add a little maple too— but you do you.
Extra topping inspo: dried orange peel, fresh blueberries, coconut sugar/cinnamon, edible flowers… vegan vanilla ice cream… mmmm. 😋